Of Kings and Men
“Duergar are a short, tough and stoic people from the depths of the mountains and a close relation to the Dwarves. They share their craftsmanship abilities and strengths with Dwarves and are known to be relatively non-hostile to humans and all other races, though fights between surface dwellers and duergar are a common occurance. They are more emotional than Dwarves and the Duergar character is often considered to be hot-tempered, bitter and malevolent, though this reputation is not always deserved.
Duergar are typically very pale or grey-skinned with either white, dark grey or normal Dwarven hair colours, though many have no hair and the majority of Duergar have little hair. Their eyes are almost universally black with a single ore-colored ring, with the occasional normal Dwarven eyes. Duergar are used to constant life underground, even more so than their Dwarven brothers, and rarely venture to the surface, except under dire circumstances.
They are not trusted by anyone, particularly the Dwarves. Duergar are somewhat confrontational with Dwarves, as the differences in history and behaviour between the two mountain races often lead to spats and fights.
In most other respects, they are identical to Dwarves, but their Language is unique. It is a language based around using images and historical events to convey meaning, rather than common words.
They rarely dwell in human cities, but are sometimes found in Haldwarf communities if they have a larger number of duergar and they may be sometimes encountered in Dwarven Holds."
- +2 Constitution, -4 Charisma instead of -2.
- Darkvision out to 120 feet.
- Immunity to paralysis, phantasms, and poison. This trait replaces the dwarf’s +2 racial bonus on saving throws against poison.
- Duergar Gain +1 racial bonus on Listen and Spot checks.
- Duergar gain +4 racial bonus on Move Silently checks.
- Duergar have +2 racial bonus on saves against spells and spell-like abilities.
- Spell-Like Abilities: 1/day — enlarge person and invisibility as a wizard of twice the duergar’s class level (minimum caster level 3rd); these abilities affect only the duergar and whatever it carries.
- Light Sensitivity: Duergar are dazzled in bright sunlight or within the radius of a daylight spell. Duergar who have spent most of their life on the surface will become used to the light, but their Darkvision will suffer as result and be reduced to 60ft.
- Automatic Languages: Common and Duergar. Bonus Languages: Giant, Goblin, Orc, Dwarven, and Gutterspeak.
- Level Adjustment: +1
- Favored Class: Fighter. A multiclass Duergar’s fighter class does not count when determining whether he takes an experience point penalty for multiclassing.